Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Shun Lee Cafe

SHUN LEE CAFE : Dim Sum
43 West 65th off Broadway
212.595.8895

“Fried or Steamed” the waiter asks with open eyes I respond, "steamed," since I see this cart closest to our table. A young dim sum auctioneer approaches our table wheeling a large cart of smoking bamboo baskets. She then in the most rapid candor spits off in one breath “shrimp with scallion, shrimp shumai , shrimp with crab, chicken, pork, vegetable, chicken with shrimp,” and a slurry of other options which I could not grasp since she was testing my mental preparedness to understand her verbal dim sum onslaught.

Now armed with bamboo baskets of steamed shrimp dumplings and having conquered out first lesson in dim sumauctioneering we were ready for the fried cart. The fried cart was a piece of cake and now our table was booming with shumai , egg rolls, fried mango shrimp, sesame chicken and scallops. All that was left to do was dollop sauce on our plates and let the chops sticks balance our little tokens of Chinese fish and meat carefully to our mouths.


After polishing off 6 orders of dim sum and a shared entrée my dinner date turns to me and asks, "Why exactly haven’t you taken me here before?"
So for this reason alone I felt it was important to try and persuade you to go there as well. While the dim sum in my opinion is some of the best in the city be prepared to spend a pretty penny on your meal. If you prefer Chinese food because it’s cheap and hot then I don’t recommend you eat here. This is a dining experience to be savored and enjoyed. Mmm mmm dim sum.

No comments: