Friday, February 9, 2007

Kobe Club

Kobe Club :
68 West 58th Street

212.644.5623

New York Times Review
http://events.nytimes.com/2007/02/07/dining/reviews/07rest.html?ref=dining

Now While the New York Times reviewer had a less than favorable experience at the Kobe Club I do have to share my splendid experience. I did not start out my meal being asked, "Am I scare?." While the 2,000 Samurai blades that hung above my head were a bit discerning my voracious appetite and curiosity for the culinary feat I was about to take on quickly wiped the fear from my mind. Once seated, we were handed these massive leather bound menus which featured many familiar steak house favorites with a few Japanese twists and turns. We could choose from American or Australian Wagyu or Japanese Kobe beef with a plethora of sauces and preparations. To be accompanied by fries, creamed spinach, mashed potatoes or a bevy of other familiar basics. mm mm good.

I ordered the surf and turf, cause why should I pick just one? 8 oz. of Australian Wagyu and a 1/2 lobster. I won't get into the appetizers but keep in mind they were delicious. Once your steak is served they offer you a trio of salts to choose from to enhance the flavor of your food. Now while the NYT reviewer found this to be laughable I thought it to be quite a fabulous addition to the $100+ a person meal I was already knee deep in.

Black salt from Hawaii, Pink Salt from Australia and Grey salt from France. In keeping with my Australian theme I chose the pink salt. Let's just pause here and have a moment of silence for the filet of beef that didn't need a knife to be cut. This was hands down the most succulent, luscious, delectable piece of steak I have ever eaten. For the record I would also like to state that I have eaten at some pretty awesome restaurants.

Dessert was more of the same traditional fare and just as delicious as the two courses that preceded it. The four other members of my party can vouch that they too had an excellent meal.
I didn't find the restaurant to be gimmicky, I thought it to be a refreshing twist on the traditional steak house.

The only think that the NYT reviewer and I can agree on is this and I will quote her on it.
"On the night when the server assured me of my safety, as I put my coat back on and headed toward the door, I suddenly found that I couldn't leave. Something was pulling me back, but what? No, it was one of those leather strings, which had wrapped like a tentacle around me. Scary indeed."

They need to get RID of those leather strings, very annoying.

No comments: