Thursday, March 22, 2007

Howard Zinn

Howard Zinn : "You Can't be Neutral on a Moving Train" Documentary, 2004.

Howard Zinn historian and activist has been on the forefront of progressive thought in America for decades. From the 50s until present day he has re-written history and given intellectual merit to anti-war and civil rights movements for his generation, ours and for generations to come. He has been at the right place at the right time to inspire millions. What makes Zinn so unique is that he never rallied or insisted to be on the forefront of social movements it was his personal beliefs and presence as a professor at the university level that showcased his drive to create change within ourselves that inspired a domino effect in all that surrounded him. He wants you to rise up and let your voice be heard. It is the minorities, women and poor that represent our democracy. This documentary chronicles Zinn's influential and inspiring commitment to social change and it is very inspiring.

I also recommend "A People's History of the United State" It was this book that introduced me to Zinn and helped to lay out a history of the United States which I could not and would never find in a traditional text book. I would like to thank my Sophomore year American History professor Ann Grenell at Northeastern University for feeding me information that I didn't even know I was hungry for.
http://howardzinn.org

No comments: